One of the most significant functionalist sites in the world
May 26, 1928 - inauguration of the Exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia 1928 under the patronage of Tomáš G. Masaryk
The Brno exhibition grounds were once among the most significant functionalist sites in the world. Today, the exhibition space spans almost 190,000 m2.
At the end of the 19th century, Brno was one of the leading industrial centres of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Preparations for the exhibition grounds began while Brno was still a part of the empire but were interrupted by World War I. In 1923, a large exhibition was planned to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the establishment of Czechoslovakia, and representatives of local industrial and commercial companies used this event to win support for the idea of the exhibition grounds.
The project gained support, and the city of Brno purchased the lands where the exhibition now stands, which until then had been called Bauerova rampa (Bauer’s Ramp). The city issued a call for architectural designs, which was won by Josef Kalous. The main element of the winning design was a monumental circular platform with two wide promenades leading from it, lined by pavilions that were later completed by other architects based on Kalous’s concept.
Construction started at the end of 1926 and went quite smoothly, and so the whole project was finished in less than 18 months. The exhibition grounds had their opening ceremony on 26 May 1928, and the September exhibition of contemporary culture in Czechoslovakia was attended by over 2.5 million visitors.
During the Nazi occupation, the German army took over the exhibition grounds. By the end of the war, the area was so seriously damaged that there was talk of closing it down indefinitely. In 1947, however, renovations were started. Only a few of the original pavilions have been preserved.
Those buildings preserved from 1928 and several other significant buildings constructed later are now listed buildings. The grounds also hold several sculptures, the most famous of which is the Nový věk (New Age) allegorical group sculpture by Vincenc Makovský, which was transferred here from the 1958 Brussels World’s Fair, where it won a Grand Prix.
Address and contact
603 00 Brno
Brno’s exhibition grounds
Brno Architecture Manual – a guide to 1918–1945 architekture
Tell your friends about Brno’s exhibition grounds!
Similar places nearby
Pavilion A was originally the ‘Pavilion of Industry and Commerce’
Pavilion’s construction based primarily on glass and steel
This four-storey building feels like a department store
A 45-metre tower is the pavilion’s most fascinating element
The newest pavilion on the grounds is also the largest
The monumental cupola dominates the western panorama
Cinema – theatre – café
This building by Emil Králík served as a cinema and theatre
Bauer Chateau (Bauerův zámeček)
The chateau is the oldest building at the exhibition grounds