A luxurious café, in use since the 1920s
The centre of social life between WW1 and WW2
The principal work by architect Jindřich Kumpošt
A still-prominent location in the café history of Brno
The rapid development of Brno in the 1920s was reflected in a boom in the local social life which, as in other cities, was concentrated in cafés.
One of the places comparable to other exclusive European cafés in terms of its architecture, comfortable furnishing, and refined service was the Savoy Café, located on the corner of Jakubské náměstí (St James Square) and Běhounská Street. The Savoy Café is one of the crucial works by architect Jindřich Kumpošt, and it stands out significantly among his previous designs as well as among most of the buildings of this type from Brno’s interwar period.
Brno Architecture Manual – a guide to 1918–1945 architekture
Tell your friends about Savoy Café!
Similar places nearby
Moravian Bank / now Komerční Bank, (Moravská banka / Komerční banka)
A functionalist building located on náměstí Svobody
This very narrow hotel is located in the heart of Brno
Centrum Department Store (Obchodní dům Centrum)
The skyscraper that would never reach the clouds
St James Square (Jakubské náměstí)
On summer nights, this is one of the liveliest spots in Brno
Ossuary at the Church of St James (Kostnice u sv. Jakuba)
After Paris, Brno has the second-largest ossuary in Europe
Janáček Theatre (Janáčkovo divadlo)
When opened, this was the biggest theatre in Czechoslovakia