Dominated by the Neo-Renaissance Mahen Theatre
Brno House of Arts located near the theatre
Replica of Zemanova Café built in a nearby park
Named after Soviet marshal who liberated Brno in April 1945
This square, featuring several large buildings and a sculpture, is also known as Maliňák. The Renaissance Revival style Mahenovo divadlo (the Mahen Theatre) was built in 1881 and 1882, based on a design by Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. It was the first theatre in Europe completely fitted with electric bulbs, called ‘edisonky’ in Czech. This fact is commemorated by a three-metre wire sculpture, Pocta T. A. Edisonovi (Tribute to T. A. Edison), which looks like four intertwined bulbs.
Palác Morava (the Moravia Palace), a large building constructed from 1926 to 1935, was originally intended as a hotel. Instead, it has served multiple purposes over the years, with a cinema, shops, and various businesses. Dům umění města Brna (the Brno House of Arts) is another remarkable building, originally constructed from 1908 to 1911. In 1946, it was renovated according to a design by Bohuslav Fuchs. It currently hosts exhibitions.
On Jánská Street, opposite to Centrum, stands a large school built in 1858–1859, designed by Ludwig Förster. Johann Gregor Mendel gave the first lecture introducing his findings in genetics there in 1865.
Nearest stop of public transport: Malinovského náměstí
Address and contact