One of the most precious historical places in Brno
Located in what was once the Jewish quarter
13th c. well and Gothic cellars recently found
Roman Square is an unofficial name for Františkánská Street.
This street leads from Kostel sv. Maří Magdaleny (the Church of St Mary Magdalene) in Masarykova Street to Kostel sv. Josefa (the Church of St Joseph) in Josefská Street. This space is located in what used to be the Jewish quarter, which is why it was called Židovský plácek (the Jewish Yard) or Židovské náměstí (Jewish Square) until 1744.
The whole block, including the street and the square, is a part of the city’s conservation area. In 1997, an archaeological dig in the northern part of the square revealed a well from the 13th century and cellars of one of the original Gothic houses.
Currently, the space awaits complete reconstruction.
Nearest stop of public transport: Zelný trh
Address and contact
Similar places nearby
Masarykova connects Nádražní Street with Freedom Square
Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross and Capuchin crypt (Kostel Nalezení sv. Kříže a Kapucínská hrobka)
The buildings convey the simple spirit of the Capuchin style
Ossuary at the Church of St James (Kostnice u sv. Jakuba)
After Paris, Brno has the second-largest ossuary in Europe