Church tower over 90 metres tall
Tall tower features a rather surprising statue
Headstones of prominent citizens of Brno
One of the country’s most valuable late Gothic buildings
The Church of St James in Brno was first mentioned in writing in 1228. Originally a Romanesque building, it was later replaced by a Gothic church. The construction on its three naves, in which builder Anton Pilgram participated, was interrupted by a fire in 1515. The church was repaired and completed in 1592. In the mid-18th century, its interior was modified in the Baroque style. Its Gothic look was restored in the 1870s when the main altar was created in its current form. The three naves, with their majestic pillars and lovely vaults, contain a number of tombstones of local citizens and prominent people related to the history of Brno, including Jean-Louis Raduit de Souches, the commander who successfully defended Brno during the Swedish siege of 1645. The church tower, completed in 1592, is one of the dominant features of Brno. It is 94 metres tall and features a surprising statue on the southern side: a small man showing his buttocks to passersby. The church was surrounded by a cemetery, which was closed due to the 1784 reforms by Emperor Joseph II. In 2001, an underground ossuary was discovered and is now open to the public.