Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul
The Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (Petrov) is one of the dominating features of the city of Brno. A Romanesque church was originally on this site; in the 14th century it was re-built in the Gothic style. Right from its inception, Petrov was an important church within the city.
The cathedral had 21 altars at the end of the 15th century. The cathedral was damaged in the year 1643 during the Swedish siege, and was burned down. Between 1743 and 1748 the aisle was re-designed into the shape which it has today, according to the design of Mořic Grimm. The chancel was re-gothicized at the end of the 19th century. The overall reconstruction was finished by Viennese architect August Kirstein in the year 1909, when the cathedral received two towers, and other civil adjustments were implemented. Among the decorations inside the church, you cannot overlook the statue of Madonna and child which dates from around the 1300’s, a late Gothic pieta, Baroque altars and a rostrum.
The latest scientific research puts the origins of the church on Petrov back to the 1170s. In the Gothic period the church was rebuilt several times. In one of the reconstructions, around 1500, the original consecration to St. Peter was added to by the consecration to St. Paul. In 1296 a collegiate chapter was established at the church. During the Thirty Years’ War the church burnt down and was newly built in two Baroque periods, 1651-52 and 1743-46. When Pope Pius VI confirmed the establishing of the Brno diocese in 1777, the Church of St. Peter and Paul was promoted to a cathedral.
Apart from the cathedral interior visitors may see the Romanesque-Gothic crypt with foundations of the original church. In the treasury room there is an exhibition of vestments, monstrances and other liturgical articles. Visitors also like to climb the cathedral steeples to have a view of the city. The diocese museum houses an interesting exhibition of Vita Christi (Christ’s life).
- Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul - mp3 (, 465.31 kB)
Opening hours of the cathedral01.01.2016 - 31.12.2016Monday 08:15 - 18:30Tuesday 08:15 - 18:30Wednesday 08:15 - 18:30Thursday 08:15 - 18:30Friday 08:15 - 18:30Saturday 08:15 - 18:30Sunday 07:00 - 18:30
The tower, treasury and vault:: May - September01.05.2016 - 30.09.2016Monday 10:00 - 18:30Tuesday 10:00 - 18:30Wednesday 10:00 - 18:30Thursday 10:00 - 18:30Friday 10:00 - 18:30Saturday 10:00 - 18:30Sunday 12:00 - 18:30
full admission30 CZK
For Children30 CZK