Previous Next
  • Central square, the imagined centre of the city

  • Christmas and Easter markets, festivals, concerts

  • Complete reconstruction finished in 2006

Brno’s most significant square, located in its historic centre

The triangular shape of the square, nicknamed Svoboďák, was determined by ancient trade routes and by a stream (more precisely, a city sewer). This place, which was once called Dolní trh and then Velké náměstí (Lower Market and Big Square), was first mentioned in records from the 13th century.

Today it is surrounded by several remarkable buildings. One is the Renaissance Dům pánů z Lipé (House of the Lords of Lipá), with mythological and biblical scenes and grapevine ornamentation gracing its facade. Kleinův palác (Klein Palace) is a Renaissance Revival building with big cast-iron oriel windows that reference the main trade of the Klein family, which once owned ironworks in Sobotín. Dům U Čtyř mamlasů (House of Four Giants), with four giants carrying its weight, is another remarkable building, built in 1902 and designed by Alois Prastorfer and Germano Wanderley. The functionalist facade of the Komerční bank by architect Bohuslav Fuchs, which caused quite a stir at the time, is also worthy of mention. Similar controversial reactions were caused by the shining facade of the Omega Palace from 2006 by the architects Tomáš Pilař and Ladislav Kuba.

Four sculptural installations are located in the square, very different in terms of the time of their origin, design, and subject. The early Baroque plague column from 1689 is a reminder of plague outbreaks in Brno. The circular grids of the two bronze fountains feature lines by local poet Jan Skácel. The most controversial installation is the monument made of black granite: a clock from which small marbles fall out every day at 11 a.m. A discrete line on the paving outlines the foundations of the removed Church of St Nicholas.

Address and contact

náměstí Svobody
60200 Brno

Tell your friends about Freedom Square!

Share on Facebook