49-metre long nave in Church of St Michael
Baroque buildings now house municipal government
Mint Master’s Cellar lies under the square
Square contains New Town Hall and Church of St Michael
Around 1228, Margrave Přemysl of Moravia donated the small Kostel sv. Michala (Church of St Michael) and its surroundings to the Dominican Order so its members could build a monastery there. The Moravian Assembly later held sessions there. In the 17th century, the church was seriously damaged by the Swedish army. Its current Baroque form is the work of the local architect Jan Křtitel Erna. The church was consecrated in 1679. Inside, attention is mainly drawn to its beautiful pulpit, designed by Josef Winterhalder in 1747. The Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre, modelled on the chapel located inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, is located on the exterior south wall of the church. The church is open to the public only when services are being held. There are ten Baroque statues on its terrace.
Nová radnice (the New Town Hall) occupies the western part of the square. The former Stavovský or Zemský dům (the House of the Estates or Municipal House) originally served the needs of the Moravian administration. The municipal authority moved in in 1935. The site was declared a cultural monument in 1958. Today, it is the seat of the Brno municipal government.
Through an entrance in nearby Panenská Street, visitors can enter the remarkable Mincmistrovský sklep (Mint Master’s Cellar), which is situated under the square.
The current name of the square originated in the second half of the 19th century; previously it was called Rybí trh (the Fish Market). In the 20th century, its name changed two more times: first to Radniční náměstí (Town Hall Square) and then to náměstí Družby národů (Association of Nations Square). It regained the name Dominican Square in 1990.
Address and contact
Tell your friends about Dominican Square!
Similar places nearby
Freedom Square (náměstí Svobody)
Brno’s most significant square, located in its historic centre
Vegetable Market (Zelný trh)
Historical marketplace with a fountain, statue, and theatres
Moravian Square (Moravské náměstí)
One of the largest squares in Brno, made up of several parts
Old Town Hall (Stará radnice)
A significant historical building in the centre of Brno
This vast complex is situated atop a hill of the same name
Mint Master’s Cellar (Mincmistrovský sklep)
A lesson on the history of minting is presented in a cellar