Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre next to the church
Clerical beginnings of Gregor Johann Mendel
The Moravian Assembly met at the old monastery
Roman Catholic church next to Nová radnice (New Town Hall)
Around 1228, Margrave Přemysl of Moravia gave the small Church of St Michael and its surroundings to the Dominican Order to build a monastery. The Moravian Assembly later held sessions there. The church was heavily damaged by the Swedish army in the 17th century. Its current Baroque form is the work of the local architect Jan Křtitel Erna. The Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre at the southern wall of the church in Dominikánská Street is modelled after the chapel in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
In the seminary on Dominikánské náměstí (Dominican Square), Gregor Johann Mendel graduated from his theology studies. In the Church of St Michael, he was then ordained as a priest and on 15 August 1847, he celebrated his first Mass there.
Tue – Sat 14.00-18.00
Address and contact