General and specialised library collections
Close to five faculties of Brno universities
Winner of Construction of the Year in 2001
The library is open only for registered readers!
The second-largest library in the Czech Republic
The beginnings of the Moravian Library are not related to any public institution but to a private library of Moravskoslezská společnost pro podporu zemědělství, přírodoznalectví a vlastivědu (the Moravian-Silesian Society for Development of Ploughing, Natural Sciences and Natural History and Geography). It was founded either in 1806 or in 1808, depending on which sources you choose to believe. The Moravian Library serves as a regional library, established by the Czech Ministry of Culture. It contains a general library collection complemented by specialised collections; also, it serves as permanent storage for conservational and historical collections. Besides its services as a library, it participates in the social life of the city and organizes a number of educational, as well as cultural events for the public.
In 1995, an invitation to tender was issued for a design of the new building of the library. It was then built in an ‘academic neighborhood’, and in 2001 the new building opened to the public. The building of the Moravian Library won the Construction of 2001 Award ‘for creating a cultural and scientific centre of high constructional and architectural quality while focusing on a comfortable, user-friendly environment’.