Oldest public park throughout the Czech lands
Concerts once held in a restaurant pavilion
Janáček wrote melodies of birds singing
Lužánky was Janáček’s favourite place for his regular walks
Lužánky Park was opened to the public at the end of the 18th century and is one of the oldest public parks in Central Europe. In the middle of the park, a Renaissance Revival restaurant pavilion called Kasino was built in 1855, designed by architect Ludwig Förster. Various social events, such as lectures, exhibitions, concerts, and balls, were held here.
As a child, Janáček performed at public concerts here in 1866–1869. When, as a renowned 56-year-old composer, he moved to the house in the garden of the organ school in what is now Smetanova Street, he would go to the park almost daily to take a walk and write down lots of melodies, mainly from birds singing.
Plans were made in 1908 to build the Czech Národní divadlo (National Theatre) in one corner of the park, but those plans never came to fruition.
Address and contact
Similar places nearby
Stadium Hall (Sál Stadionu) and Leoš Janáček
The hall where Janáček’s famed Slavonic Mass premiered
Leoš Janáček Memorial and Chleborád Villa (Památník Leoše Janáčka a Chleborádova vila)
The place where Janáček spent the last 18 years of his life
Residence of the National Theatre Brno (Budova Českého národního divadla v Brně)
This building was once located on Žerotín Square