Clerical beginnings of Gregor Johann Mendel
The Moravian Assembly met at the old monastery
Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre next to the church
Mendel studied theology in the seminary
In the Church of St Michael, which is located on Dominikánské náměstí (Dominican Square), Gregor Mendel was ordained as a priest. On 15 August 1847, he celebrated his first Mass there.
Around 1228, Margrave Přemysl of Moravia gave the small Church of St Michael and its surroundings to the Dominican Order to build a monastery. The Moravian Assembly later held sessions there. The church was heavily damaged by the Swedish army in the 17th century, and its current Baroque form is the work of the local architect Jan Křtitel Erna. The Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre at the southern wall of the church in Dominikánská Street is modelled after the chapel in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The church is generally open to the public only during regular services.