Advent and Christmas in Brno is a little different this year. But don’t worry – the best bits are all here!
A Christmas tree has lit up Freedom Square, this year a 14-metre-high fir from the woods of nearby Bílovice. As usual, another Christmas tree also decorates Cabbage Market, while Moravian Square is again hosting the ever-popular Ferris wheel. Jiří Halouzka’s nativity scene, without which Brno Christmas wouldn’t be Brno Christmas, has once again taken up residence on Dominican Square.
The Advent and Christmas atmosphere is intensified by the rich seasonal illuminations and other decorations festooning the city centre. This makes the centre of Brno the ideal place for a stroll with loved ones.
Advent sales have started in Brno on 3 December. It’ll mean an ideal opportunity to buy Christmas gifts without queuing in shopping centres, as well as supporting local vendors and producers. Naturally, this alternative depends on whatever epidemiological measures are being enforced at the time.
- Náměstí Svobody (Freedom Square) – approximately 20 stalls
- Dominikánské náměstí (Dominican Square) – 6 stalls
- Zelný trh (Vegetable Market) – 25 stalls with handicrafts and gift items
- Moravské náměstí (Moravian Square) – 10 stalls with handicrafts and gift items and 4 stalls for non-profit organisations to promote their causes
- Moravské náměstí u sochy Josta (Moravian Square by the Jošta statue) – 6 stalls with handicrafts and gift items
Parts of tour
Christmas Freedom Square
Brno’s natural hub, Traditional Christmas tree
Christmas Dominican Square
Calm atmosphere, Halouzka’s carved nativity scene
Advent market on Moravian Square
An observation wheel rising to a height of 33 metres
Advent on Vegetable Market
A cosy market focused on crafts and tradition